Keepin’ It In The Family
The Manhattan Beach 10k loves family and so we’ve created our event for families to race together. It is a way to make positive, healthy choices, while sparking a little competition! We offer 7 different family team categories comprised of 2 runners each. We are highlighting a few of those teams who participated in 2018 and asked them some questions about their experiences with the race:
What is your most memorable MB10k moment?
Do you have any race day traditions?
Do you run together?
What is your race day strategy?
What is your favorite “unofficial” finish line?
Meet The Hongs
1st Place Father-Daughter
Abby’s Answers - She was also the 1st Place Female in 2018, btw!
1. My most memorable MB10k was in 2009. It was my second year running the race, and I was in the eighth grade. I dipped under the 50-minute mark for the first time and won my age division. The overwhelming support from the community all along the course and sense of accomplishment after beating my time from the previous year hooked me on the sport of running. It led me to join the Mira Costa Cross Country team the following fall and eventually continue my competitive running career in college at the University of Pennsylvania.
2. I don't like to be hung up on specific rituals or superstitions because these things can sometimes be out of your control on race day.
3. We have never run side-by-side during the actual race but have run hundreds of miles together in training.
4. I was excited to be back home and have the opportunity to race the MB 10k for the first time since high school. Years of training and pacing have taught me to have a good grasp on what a comfortably hard pace should feel like. I trusted my training and racing instincts to lead me to a consistent performance and strong finishing time.
1. The most memorable moment was my first MB10k in 2008. It was memorable because during the last mile of the race, my 12-year-old daughter Abby passed me on the strand. This was also her first MB10k. From that moment on, I knew she would be a running phenom. I’ve been chasing her since.
2. To get the extra kick, I must have my double concentrated coffee 1.5 hours before the race. No exceptions. No substitutions.
3. Yes, if you count trying to keep up with the fastest woman at the 2018 MB10k. When we run together, I always end up with a good workout.
4. My racing strategy involves careful pacing based on my workouts. Once I hit the strand, it is all-out, leaving nothing in the tank.
5. I haven’t reached or seen it yet. Life is short. The road is long. I have to hurry.
Meet The Lems
1st Place Sister-Sister
1. This past year my nephew Kolin, Kristen’s son, ran his first ever MB10k race and first 10k at 9 years old! Powered by the sugar doughnut my nephew inhaled on mile 4, Kolin held it, the doughnut, down the entire race and finished 3rd in his age group! We’ve successfully passed along the family tradition of running the MB10k to the next Lem generation.
2. Race day tradition is that we all meet at the finish line, snap a group photo with the MB Pier in the background, head to the hometown fair later that day for games and the beer and wine garden!
3/4. We don’t run together as sisters because we have different pacing and running styles but we meet up before and after the race. Race day we decide if we are going to make it a fun run (not run for time) or if we are going to try run hard and beat our PR’s (Personal Records). Also, we either start at the front of the race line or back so we don’t have to dodge around people and jeopardize our race times.
5. Shellback is our favorite “official” finish line! The race is not to the finish line, but to the bar!!! Gotta go to Shelly’s and grab a recovery cocktail post-race!
Meet The Fioritos
1st Place Father-Son
Alex & John’s Answers
1. A: I don't know, seeing all the bands?
J: Making it up and over Rosecrans the first time I ran.
2. A: Painting "MIRA COSTA" on our chests and wearing pink shorts.
J: I always start in the upper lane on Ardmore.
3/4. A: Start out comfortable and get faster throughout the race.
J: We run at the same time but I can't keep up with Alex anymore.
5. A: The Fresh Bros tent.
J: In 2018, Shellback.
Wanna Run As A Family Team?
Team entry is available on our website beginning September 1st!*
*Both team members must register first before entering as a family team.
2019 Finisher Tee
We are proud to show you the Finisher Tee for 2019! Manhattan Beach photographer John Post has once again captured a stunning image for this year’s Finisher Tee! Our shirts are the best ones out there. We pride ourselves in that we have managed to keep advertising off of them. It isn't a billboard for sponsor logos, it's a work of art! It's a high-quality blend, offered in your choice of long or short sleeve, sizes and styles subject to availability.
This year’s image captures the Manhattan Beach Pier from the shoreline looking north with waves, the beach and seabirds. - John Post
Visit John Post Gallery
Stop by the John Post Gallery, 808 Manhattan Avenue for the best original photographs of Manhattan Beach and the South Bay.
John has something in the works this year to celebrate 50 years photographing and selling photos of the Manhattan Beach Pier. If you’d like to drop him an email at John@JohnPost.com, he will forward you information about what it is and how you can participate.
Registration Opens July 1st
Register online only at mb10k.com for the Manhattan Beach 10k & enjoy EXTRA SAVINGS from July 1 through July 10! Race day is October 5, 2019.
July 1st through July 10th prices are:
$25* 14 years old and under
$30* 15 years old and up
*+ processing fee
EXTRA SAVINGS will end July 10th at 11:59 p.m. PDT and prices will increase, so we encourage you to take advantage of this money saving opportunity now!
When you register by July 10th you will be guaranteed the t-shirt style and size that you request!
Village Runner 4th of July 5k
We will have a 4th of July themed booth at Village Runner’s Annual 5k! Visit us there to sign up for our race. As an added perk, you’ll be guaranteed your finisher tee in the size and style you want. Only credit cards will be accepted at this time and a processing fee will be added to your registration.
THE MB10K IS A NON-PROFIT EVENT AND THE PROCEEDS ARE DONATED TO COMMUNITY FITNESS-RELATED CAUSES & SCHOLARSHIPS. THE RACE COMMITTEE ORGANIZERS AND RACE STAFF ARE VOLUNTEERS.
WE'LL SEE YOU AT THE STARTING LINE ON OCTOBER 5, 2019!
Sign up below and we'll send you valuable information about the Manhattan Beach 10k Run.